Saturday, October 5, 2013

The Beautiful and the Cursed by Page Morgan {Review}

Page Count: 352 pages
Published: May 14th 2013 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)
Original title: Grotesque
ISBN:0385743114
Source: Kindle 
 
Summary
 
After a bizarre accident, Ingrid Waverly is forced to leave London with her mother and younger sister, Gabby, trading a world full of fancy dresses and society events for the unfamiliar city of Paris.

In Paris there are no grand balls or glittering parties, and, disturbingly, the house Ingrid’s twin brother, Grayson, found for them isn’t a house at all. It’s an abandoned abbey, its roof lined with stone gargoyles that could almost be mistaken for living, breathing creatures.

And Grayson has gone missing.

No one seems to know of his whereabouts but Luc, a devastatingly handsome servant at their new home.

Ingrid is sure her twin isn’t dead—she can feel it deep in her soul—but she knows he’s in grave danger. It will be up to her and Gabby to navigate the twisted path to Grayson, a path that will lead Ingrid on a discovery of dark secrets and otherworldly truths. And she’ll learn that once they are uncovered, they can never again be buried.





Set in the dark, mysterious and utterly romantic city of Paris, Page Morgan offers us a stunning debut with one of the less written about creatures: gargoyles. That gorgeous cover drew me in but Page's unique and magical writing style and way with words are what kept me reading.

Wow! That is one would that describes my feelings on this amazing novel. The Beautiful and the Cursed reminded me why I love books with gargoyles and books set in Paris. I mean PARIS is Paris. It's beautiful and magical and ugh! Why can't I be there already? The way the city was portrayed in this book was true to the era. I love historical fiction. I think it is just so intriguing to read about a different time. This one was set in 1899 and Page did a fantastic job of transporting me there. I could see everything unfold before my eyes. 

There was mystery, romance, gargoyles who are sworn to protect, evil fallen angels. Ingrid's story is told from multiple POVs. I believe that it was mainly between her, Gabby (her sister), her brother and Luc (the really amazing Gargoyle protector). What was really interesting to me was the way the classes and social standings were addressed in this. You have the humans, demons, gargoyles, angels and the Alliance. The Alliance are humans who fight for the safety of humanity. Gargoyles were humans, but they all committed the same sin that doomed them to serve the Angelic. Angels obey God without questioning and the demons obey their master without questioning. 

I personally love the whole gothic scene in books and the entire mood of this book was gothic with hints of mysterious disappearances and forbidden love. I think you've all gathered that I love forbidden love. Oh, and there is a love triangle in this book. It's totally obvious that the two guys are utterly devoted to her. I found the love triangle is this book a little annoying, but that's probably because I strongly preferred one guy over the other. Though the other is cute, he's more like friend zone material. Sorry. 

"Ingrid deserved better than selfish kisses and an empty, hopeless future. Even if the Dispossessed allowed it, she deserved to be more than Luc's human obsession."

But of course, Luc is the gargoyle who is utterly protective. His devotion to Ingrid is super sweet and he is just wow. *runs to see if any of the gargoyles on Notre Dame are actually really hot guys who are sworn to protect humans*

*comes back empty handed*

Darn.
 
Ingrid is the true main character of this book. I really liked her. She was stronger than anyone realized, even more than she thought. She fights for what she believes in and won't stop for anyone if it means saving someone she cares about. Through all this though, she is broken from what happened in London. (I really wish they elaborated on this incident a little more. Maybe they will in book 2?) It doesn't take long for her to fall all over again. She's careful with her heart and with what she's been through, she is breakable. It's weird though. I almost think that her breakability makes her stronger.

Okay then, I really loved this book if you couldn't tell. I can't wait for The Lovely & The Lost to come out! (May 14th 2014, are you kidding me?!) I am so totally reading it. Mwahaha.

  .5


I actually designed an outfit on Polyvore for this book:
Can you tell I like this book?
Also have y'all ever heard Miss Jackson by Panic! at the Disco? It fits this book really nicely.



Best,

Jackie

12 comments:

  1. OOh nice review! I still need to read this one having gotten it wayyy earlier this year. May or something...and then I won another copy, but that one was signed, so yay! Loooove gargoyles as well and am so psyched to see them coming onto the page! Definitely going to have to move this one up in the TBR mountain! Just have to find the signed copy vs the unsigned...

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOL! You must find that copy! And yesss ohmigosh I love this book so much <3 You better more it up on your TBR...it'll help you in the long run xD
      Happy reading
      Jackie

      Delete
  2. I won a copy at a giveaway on Fiktshun-Haven't started it yet though so I mostly skimmed your review. But I can definitely say that it sounds awesome so I can't wait to get started! :D

    P.S.-Love the outfit-It's very Paris-ish! ;)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must start it...the story is absolutely gorgeous <3 & Yay!! My review triggered happiness!! Woop woop ;D
      And thanks <3 I like the outfit too (:
      Happy reading
      Jackie

      Delete
  3. Great review. Love the pics, especially the outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D It was a really awesome read!
      Happy reading
      Jackie

      Delete
  4. Hahah, you are too cute Jackie! I love this line: "*runs to see if any of the gargoyles on Notre Dame are actually really hot guys who are sworn to protect humans* *comes back empty handed* Darn."

    I'm still giggling. I've had this book on my TBR for awhile, but haven't had time to read it. I'm excited now after reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :3 But, seriously, wouldn't it be amazing if they really were hot guys? I think yes...
      Happy reading!!
      Jackie

      Delete
  5. Great review :) I also adored this book. I'm only just getting into historical fiction, but this is one that has really turned me onto the genre. I agree... MAY 2014... gosh, it's so far away!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, I can't wait till The Lovely and the Lost comes out <3
      Happy reading
      Jackie

      Delete
  6. The author brings us to a Paris that's very different from the one we know today, but no less beautiful. The gothic elements are rife throughout and there are some gruesome murders as well. This is a book I'll read again and it left me wanting more.

    ReplyDelete