Tuesday, November 26, 2013

ARC Review: Pawn by Aimee Carter

Pawn by Aimee Carter
Blackcoat Rebellion #1
346 pages
Expected publication: November 26th 2013 by Harlequin Teen 
Source: Thank you to HarlequinTeen and Above the Treeline for giving me access to this ARC. In no way did this influence my opinion. 

Summary

YOU CAN BE A VII. IF YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING.

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country.

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter.

There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed …and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand.

Previously titled Masked.



Kitty, whose name makes me think of Lizzie's younger sister, is a III. In this fresh take on the dystopian genre we see Kitty struggle to find her place in a world filled with numbers that define who you are. Sound familiar? Think The Selection. Except she's already snagged the 'prince'. Too bad she doesn't want him. Our Kitty is in love with one of the few characters I could trust in this book: Benjy. The other being Greyson. 
When Lila Hart mysteriously dies, Kitty is chosen to be her replacement. Kitty complies with the orders only to protect Benjy. Almost everyone in Pawn is an expert at using people, twisting the truth and winning. And this who lose can be deadly when seeking revenge. Aimee Carter is not afraid to kill off a few people to get a reader stuck in the story. 

My favorite thing about Pawn was where it was set. It's a not so far in the future America that seems almost tangible. I could totally see the political aspect of this happening. I usually find myself turned off by the more political aspect of the story but with Pawn I found myself fascinated with the inner workings of the system. 

I really liked the characters...although I can't trust most of them. Kitty, although the seemed weak she doesn't let herself become a puppet for those who captured her. Although they had power over who she was she wouldn't let them control her. If that makes sense. She was fiercely loyal to those she cared for. Overall, Kitty with the deceiving name was a strong heroine. I do wish she grew a little but more in the book. She mostly stays in the same attitude throughout the book with random fireworks of courage. 

In the end, there's something about pretending to be someone else that keeps me on the edge of me seat and that keeps me compelled to read more. More than anything, this books is about decisions and just how they can impact the people you leave behind. In this world- building atmosphere we see Aimee Cater showcase her abilities as a writer. I was impressed by her growth as an author and she did well in a new environment. I mean future America is a little different from Modern Greek Myths. (I love that series by the way)

Although this book was good, it didn't take my breath away. This genre is pretty hit or miss for me and Pawn fell somewhere in between. 

Happy reading
Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment