Saturday, November 16, 2013

Reboot by Amy Tintera {Review}

Reboot by Amy Tintera
Publishers: HarperTeen
Published: May 7, 2013
Page Count: 365
Edition: ARC
Source: HarperTeen gave me a copy a loong time ago for review! Thank you & sorry it's so late! In no way did this influence my opinion of the book.

Summary

Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).

Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.

The perfect soldier is done taking orders.





 “Humans had a brightness to them, a glow that only death extinguished.”




Dead in 178 minuets, Wren is practically emotionless. Or was emotionless until Callum, a very strange and way too happy reboot with the pathetic number of 22, basically human, make her feel things that reboot her heart. (see that I did there) When Callum comes into HARC things change, and not just with Wren and her still-beating heart, but all around. Below sixties are attacking other reboots with an cannibalistic rage. 

With Wren's 'waking up' she begins to see things that her previous callus nature blinded her to; how lower numbers were dropping off the grid, the brief insanity that some reboots were gaining. As Wren reluctance to admit she actually likes Callum weakens she decides that she has to get out. But how can she abandon everything she's known? How can she abandon safety? 

~

This book was a tale of love finding itself in the darkest of deadly places. Reboots are shunned for everywhere because they are the product of a deadly disease. Reboots are shunned because they are the dead that have woken up. They longer they've been asleep, they stronger they are and the less they feel. 

Wren's been asleep 178 minuets.
Callum's been asleep 22 minuets. *shrugs* Yeahh just a tad bit of difference. 

I though the beginning of the book, although slow, was addictive. Once they kind decided they had to get out no matter what the cost, I gradually lost interest. 

Yes the romance between the two was adorable, but Callum was just so weak  (or so I though) when he first got the the compound that it annoyed me. As the book progressed I saw that, although he wasn't Wren strong he had his own kind of strength that would be awfully helpful in such a depressing situation: optimism. 

For me this wasn't a love story that was going to make or break my existence. For me it was just meh. 

Here, me lovely reader, are a few of my favorite quotes from the book:

“I think people immediately assumed I was yours so they stayed far away.' He met my eyes and smiled. 'I was. I am.' He leaned forward and brushed his lips to mine. 'Yours.” 

“He turned to me. His expression was serious, but I liked how it softened slightly when he looked at me. Like the way he looked at me was different from how he looked at everyone else.” 

Anyway's I loved Wren's character. She was so strong and in such a messed up situation too. She's pretty awesome xD

Goodreads / Amazon


 Happy reading
Jackie

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't a huge fan of the romance either. Plus, it didn't seem very believable in my opinion. Great review! :)

    Daphne @ Reading Until Dawn

    ReplyDelete