Monday, May 26, 2014

Review: Shattered Veil by Tracey E. Banghart

Shattered Veil by Tracey E. Banghart
Published February 28, 2014
Goodreads

Thank you Netgalley and Publisher for granting me a copy of SHATTERED VEIL to review! In no way did this influence my opinion of this book.

 When everything that defines you is stripped away, who do you become?

War has invaded Atalanta’s quiet villages and lush woodlands, igniting whispered worries in its glittering capitol. Far from the front lines, 18-year-old Aris Haan, a talented wingjet flyer, has little cause for concern. Until her beloved Calix is thrust into the fray, and a stranger makes her an impossible offer: the chance to join a secret army of women embedded within the all-male military. 

Aris’s choice to follow Calix to war will do more than put her in physical danger; it will make her question everything she believes about herself. When she and her enigmatic commander uncover a deadly conspiracy, her expert flying may be the only hope for her dominion’s survival…and her own.

It’s Mulan meets Battlestar Galactica, with a heroine who is strong enough to save a nation…but only if she’s willing to sacrifice everything, even the one promise she swore she’d never break.


I saw this on NetGalley and the cover was GORGEOUS. I mean do you see that cover y’all? Perfection. So, obviously, I clicked the cover so I could read the premise. So far, it was sounding promising. Girl Power? Check. Self-discovery? Check.  Possibility of romance? Check. I was all set. So I requested and got approved for it.

This is where it started to go downhill. From the beginning of the book, it had a very Matched by Ally Condie feel to it with the whole selection and paring up aspect of it. Uhm, yeah, no me gusta. When she get’s chosen to be a flyer for the army I was like YES! Go you! And that’s pretty much where I lost interest. I basically skimmed the next 70% of Shattered Veil. I read the beginning and the end. From what I gathered, the writing really developed, as well as the plot.




















It looks like she face and overcame a lot of trials, she had to fight against a male- dominate society and that made her strong. She wasn’t the same person in the end as she was in the beginning. In the beginning, she fought for love and hope. In the end, she fought for herself and freedom. GIRL POWER!

So, while the plot was good, this one just want my cup of tea. It wasn’t able to hold my interest. I think I’ll probably try to re-read it over the summer when I’m less distracted. *shrugs* Maybe that will end with better results.

So, obviously, I wasn't a fan. And believe me when I say I am in the 2% according to Goodreads. What do y'all think?


No comments:

Post a Comment