Saturday, October 18, 2014

Review: Push by Claire Wallis

Push by Claire Wallis
Published May 1, 2014
Copy via Netgalley + Publisher
Goodreads / Amazon

Synopsis

I feel like I am wrapped in a cyclone. Everything is whirling around me, drawing the air out of my lungs and filling me with the best kind of turmoil. Every time his tongue slides against mine, a prickle in my gut tells me how right we are together. How much I need David. How much I need us.

I hope the cyclone never stops.


Emma Searfoss has spent a lifetime trying to escape her abusive stepfather. It's why she moved far away from home. It's why she's kept no ties with her remaining family. And it's why she's got a major rage problem. When her neighbor shows up to fix the kitchen in her new apartment, his enigmatic charm calms the fire in her. David is cool and collected, and he makes Emma feel safe for the first time ever. But David has his own chilling past—his six previous girlfriends have all disappeared without a trace. Emma's walking a dangerous line, but David's pull is intoxicating. And impossible to resist…





Music For This Book: Devil’s Backbone: The Civil Wars / Take Me To Church: Hozier / 
"I want to stay. Shit, Emma, I always want to stay."


Something about inevitable tragedy draws people like moths to a flame it its center. Is it the need to see destruction? The hope that you are the one who can somehow keep the fall from happening? This book, straight from the freaking prologue tells you that shit is going to freaking go down. The fact that the prologue is what it is keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire book (and I have dents on my butt from the chair on the porch to prove it, as well as sunburnt legs) because you feel that if you skim for even a moment you’re going to miss something vital. You know IT is going to happen the entire book. 

I knew IT was going to happen when I read the first page. I knew IT was going to happen when I read the POVs from the six prominent women of David’s life. I knew IT was going to happen when I fell for David. I knew IT was going to happen when he said sweet nothings in Emma’s ear and when she fell for him. I knew IT was going to happen when Emma texted him I love you for the first time. I knew IT was going to happen when I cussed out my Kindle and my friends and my sister. I knew IT was going to happen when I cried. 

And sweet lordy did It happen. 

Would you like to know why I waited so long to read this book? It’s because I was terrified. This book is stunning and unique and thrilling. PUSH is a firecracker on a silent night; it lights up the sky and goes out with a bang. PUSH is a stunning break in the new adult genre that left me reeling and texting and cursing and crying. But it also left me satisfied. In a way no book ever has before. I honestly don’t know what quite to make of it.

This book is effing addicting. 

Like, holy freaking cow, I still can’t believe all that happened. *takes a deep breath*

Okay, enough rambling. Let’s get to talking about the roots and bark of the book. First, I’m going to talk about our two main characters: David and Emma. Sweet Lord these two are messed up. In insanely different ways. 

Emma’s dad died when she was young and her mother re-married to a man she met a church. Her mother married Michael to punish herself. In doing so, she screwed up her entire family. Her once loving, caring and protective brothers are now cruel and vindictive. Her step-father has them trained like monkeys and uses them as he pleases. 


Her mother is weak. 

She lets the abuse of the man she married scar her daughter emotionally and pretty much mess her up mentally. ***Not sexual abuse*** Basically her entire childhood was a time where she learned to lean on no one, trust no one, love no one. I wanted to murder her brothers, or at least wack them with a saw a few times. In the face. Her mother didn’t make me mad so much as she disappointed me. But Emma, she's so brave. She's so real. With the story almost entirely being told from her POV, I really got to know her. And she's pretty epic. 

Then we have David. Oh, David. I think I hate you so much because you made me fall for you. You made me fall for you with the need to keep Emma safe from her past. You made me love you with the re-building of the kitchen so that it was beautiful. You made me fall in love with you over hot kisses, long laughs, sharp tongues and wide smiles. The kind that make the sun shine from behind your teeth. You made me love you with you taking Emma to burger joints and falling asleep on her bedroom floor simply because you had to see her. You made me fall for you and I know you love her. I know it. I know it. I know it. 

Oh, David. 

David is screwed up to hell and back. His father is a never-ever-going-to-recover alcoholic. His mother’s soul is broken. His life is in ruins. I really don’t know how to describe him without giving too much away. His past is such a vital part to understanding the story. And when you do understand, it’s like finding the last piece to the puzzle. One thing I can say, is when you think of him, think of a crow. David craves control like a drug. Not a little control over the unexpected. David craves complete and utter control.

You’d think that they’d be like an atomic bomb or a meteor heading for earth: traumatic and deadly. But, y’all, something about them is just so right. I mean god, they are so right. Birds of a feather. When they’re together, sparks fly. Sexual tension amplified. Everything is okay, because they are totally comfortable with each other. If only those pesky secrets weren’t so, well, true. 

Holy shit this is a long review for me. I think I’ve covered most of what I’ve got to say. My main points? I hate David because I love him, and because his two POVs may have shredded my soul. I love this book. New favorite. Sweet Lord this book was delicious and beautiful, with it’s gorgeous writing and stunning characters. And, god this book was traumatic. How long will this book hangover be? Forever? Let’s hope not. I have more books to review. 

PUSH isn’t going to be leaving my mind anytime soon though. I have a feeling this is a book here to stay. I need the next book now. Now. 





No comments:

Post a Comment