Monday, September 21, 2015

ARC Review: Minotaur by Phillip W. Simpson

Goodreads // Amazon
Published by Month9Books, September 29
ARC in exchange for honest review

“Where shall I start?” asked Minotaur.

Ovid made an expansive gesture with both hands. “Where else but the beginning of course.”

Minotaur nodded his huge head. “Yes,” he said. “Yes,” his eyes already glazing over with the weight of thousand year old memories. And then he began.

So begins the story of Asterion, later known as Minotaur, the supposed half bull creature of Greek legend. Recorded by the famous Roman poet, Ovid, Asterion tells of his boyhood in Crete under the cruel hand of his stepfather Minos, his adventures with his friend, Theseus, and his growing love for the beautiful Phaedra.And of course what really happened in the labyrinth.

This is the true story of the Minotaur.


Let me just begin with saying that my fascination with Greek mythology is borderline obsessive. So, obviously, when I saw this in my email box from the publisher, something inside of me begged to click the request button. And I did. Again, obviously. But instead of being trapped in the words I found myself needing to find reasons to read it, rather than ones not to. Not because it was bad, but rather because I just wasn’t into it. I didn’t feel the connection to the minotaur like I felt I should. And the odd stops in between are especially where I found my focus wavering. *le sigh* I just had such high hopes.

I guess y’all are wondering what exactly about it was good, or bad. Mostly it was all okay. WHICH IS NO BUENO. I WOULD PREFER SOME GREAT. Maybe I wanted more drama and romance and tales of bravery. And I guess I got those. It just all felt so. . .watered down. I don’t even know if that is a good way to put it. I wanted to be entertained, but it just felt like running.

He ran from this and that and the other. Yes, I understand his home life wasn’t the best with the rumors and all. But come on. Give me some blood shed. Or more. Wow, I’ve been asking for more a bunch lately. But, I want it. I want to feel something for the characters. I want to weep when they weep and laugh when they laugh and love when they love. I mean, why else am I reading if not to learn to walk in the shoes of someone other than myself? Why else am I reading if not to learn the struggles of other and gain the ability to sympathize. I mean, of course I want to enjoy the ride too. But I want tragedy and romance and bloodlust.

Yes, I know I have issues.


So, MINOTAUR was fine. But it was just fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment