Thursday, September 8, 2016

#ARC Review || The Bear Who Loved Me by Kathy Lyons || Not Gummy Bears

The Bear Who Loved Me by Kathy Lyons 
eARC via Publisher + NetGalley
Amazon || Goodreads
Published || September 6, 2016


WHEN AN ALPHA MEETS HIS MATCH . . .

Between singlehandedly running her bakery and raising her teenaged nephew, Becca Weitz thought she had a decent grip on "normal." Then her nephew vanishes, and life as she's known it changes forever. Local legends are true: bear shifters exist . . . and her nephew is part of their clan. As is Carl Carman, the sexy, larger-than-life man who has sworn to find her nephew-and the other young shifters who've gone missing.



As the leader of his clan, Carl is surrounded by enemies. He's learned the hard way that keeping a firm leash on his inner beast is key to survival, though his feelings for Becca test his legendary control. Then danger stalks too close, and Carl realizes he must unleash the raging, primal force within to protect everything he holds dear. But can Becca trust his grizzly side with her life-and her heart?


Well, my darling babes and babettes, I’m in love. In this lovely first installment of a sure to be just as breath-taking series, Becca and Carl race both time and hearts to discover what is happing to all the young shifters suddenly disappearing. Coming into the shifter world is hard, but having your nephew/ basically son stolen in the dead of night, and then some teddy bear of a man come to tell you (in the middle of frosting, no less) that said nephew is a grizzly shifter and he doesn’t know where the hell he is---well, anyone would just about have a heart attack. Becca is a champ, however, and works at learning her war around. In the process she may just steal this stone-cold grizzly’s heart.

Whew, y’all. That was a mouthful. Not only did this book spark a post, but it also set alight a spark in my heart (after I took a few huffy, angry breaths over said post idea). It was warm and fuzzy and tingly. Actually a whole lot like that peppermint chapstick that Burt’s Bee’s make. Yummy.

Back to the book. I’m not sure if y’all are aware of this (and if you’re a new follower, hey babe, get ready for a big reveal) but I have a HUGE freaking (like of astronomical proportions, may actually be an issue, maybe I should go talk to a doctor) weakness for shape shifters. You can throw almost any—ALMOST, Y’ALL—book with some shifting of shape in it and I’ll hand over three shiny stars and a semi-panting review.

However, here’s what made me really like The Bear Who Loved Me. This book reminds me of a book from my beginning of Love Me Some Reading-hood. Are y’all familiar with Rachel Hawthorne at all? Even better, are you aware of a hella hot shifter in the second book in the shape-shifting series by her who goes by the name of Rafe? And rides a motorcycle? And is my First Love.

Y’all this book took me back. No, Rafe isn’t a bear. He’s a run of the mill wolf. But the series, much like this book, had psycho evil maniacs who liked to do freaky no-nos that made the aura all mysterious. Yes, I know that was super vague, but y’all need to trust me on this. This stuff is what good books are made of. This was an adult-y version of my first love. The characters were wonderfully fleshed out. The plot, while a bit slow-moving, was still something that I read in a sit-down. I think there was a bit of setting up done for book two (WHICH, PUBLISHER, YOU SHOULD DEF SEND ME A COPY PRONTO) which I’m suuuuuper excited for.

The Bear Who Loved Me is a good book. A good shifter book. With twists. A spunky female lead. A dude who (while could occasionally use a good knock of common decency) is smooth AF.

This is me telling you to do yourself a favor and get a copy. Like, yesterday.




No comments:

Post a Comment