Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Thanksgiving Books Read Re-Cap


Click the covers to learn more about the books! I hope all of y'all had a great break, and, for those in a similar situation to mine--good luck on finals! 



Strong Signal by Megan Erickson and Santino Hassel: Slay to the swoony love story, the cute stuffed animals, and the gamer (or as the book references him –gaymer) who is here to steal and to break our hearts. I though the love was believable, not rushed. The triumphs and struggles felt real. And hells to the yes, I was rooting for everything to work out wonderfully. I love the way that anxiety was addressed in this book (Kai has social anxiety to a crippling extent, and though out the book, things are realized, avoided, and worked to be seen As Is) as well as how the possibility of relationships can affect that.





Rules of a Rebel and a Shy Girl by Jessica Sorenson: Cheese and crackers and lord have mercy. Talk about now giving up, not giving in. I don’t even know what to say. This book ticked a whole slew of boxes. I went into this book not really expecting too much, and, wow, I got a a lot back. Willow’s life has been the total opposite of smooth sailing. Her mom is an addict and Willow has basically been taking care of her for five-ish years. After her dad split everything fell apart. Except for Willow. This girl knows how to roll with the punches, and she’s incredibly determined to never ever end up like her mom. This makes her severely independent, but also severs her off from the possibility of falling in love. Which, granted, in sort of the point. This book is about how not everything is as it seems, some things are exactly as they seem, and how to break free of the shelter you place yourself in.

Winter’s Heat by Cristin Harber: *fans self*












How I Fall by Anne Elliot: Talk about a book I didn’t expect to be super heavy absolutely dragging me into the pits of despair after so many moments of a kind of stir-crazy happiness. Ellen has CP, and while she struggles with it daily, she tries to make sure that everyone knows that she can take care of herself. She hates asking for help. When confronted with her longtime crush (who has also had a crush on her longtime) and the new Irish girl, she’s suddenly got this friend group that consists of more than her amazing, gorgeous best friend Patrick. (Patrick is my favorite) Cam and Laura are larger-than-life additions. The four of them all have a photography project they’re doing together—something that if won could change Ellen’s life. People fall, and fly, and crash. This book is amazing. I didn’t love Cam in the beginning (he was a little oblivious for my taste to all of Ellen’s struggles with the hideous people in his pack—I mean seriously? How can you wonder who hurt her when literally, before your eyes, you’ve got all these nitwits being mean to her?) I gradually fell for him. He is so sweet. Overall, I think that this is one you need to add to your Holiday wish list ASAP.

Cake by J. Bengtsson: It all began with a wedding. Then a tour. Then all the health issues due to past trauma. Then the waxing and waning of love. Then followed loss and resurrection and help and falling. I don't even know what to say about this book. This is the last book that I was able to read on break, and, what a way to end. Tear my heart apart will you?
Y'all all know at this point that the books that tear me up are the ones that I love the most. And, lordy, did I love this one.







So what did y'all do over break? Books read? Food eaten? Naps taken? 

No comments:

Post a Comment