Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Food Trucks and Tif Marcelo


Hey lovelies! Personally, I can’t believe y’all are still here reading this…my posts have been sporadic at best. So, thank you! Hello! Hey! I can’t promise that this will get any more consistent, but writing for the hell of it sure feels nice to do again.


Today we’re going to talk about food trucks. Feel free some leave a comment with your fav one in your city, or tweet me some tasty finds in your neck of the woods. We’re going to divide this darling little post up into sweet and savory.

FIRST. Let’s chat about the book that inspired this tasty endeavor: North to You by Tif Marcelo.

Y’all. When I say that this is the book I should have read when the ARC was still all there was of it, when I say that THIS is the book to pull you right out of a book slump, I freaking mean it. All the cuteness, the internal squealing, the BROWNIES. Chocolate. The LOML.

This book put me in a need come yummy food/ need a cute relationship mood like nothing else. I mean, COME OOOON, Camille (our main girl) owns her own food truck. Love it like nothing else. I’m serious. I’m swooning while trying to devise a way to get to a food truck without getting out of bed.

Even better? North to You is Own Voices. Not on

ly are you reading a book that’ll give you all the foodies feels, but you’re doing the world a favor and supporting underrepresented authors writing characters of their own culture.

What could be better? Just about nothing.

With all that said, let’s talk about 5 food trucks in Houston, Texas.

SAVORY


Waffle Bus

Not sure if I’ve told y’all of late, but I freaking adore fried chicken. And waffles. And ancho chile honey sauce. Like, Jesus Christ on a cracker. One true love. The other LOML next to chocolate. Chicken and waffles should be considered a staple breakfast/lunchtime/dinner/anytime food. I’ve had it a few other places. In the Dallas area, there’s this cute little (okay, not real little) shopping center with food places, a bomb af Sephora, and lovely sidewalks with a pond and some seating area.

That is of course, if I remember all these rather insignificant details correctly. This whole ordeal I’m leading up to was quite some time ago. HOWEVER. The chicken and waffles I had at this place (I think frog was in the name? grasshopper? Some other creature I associate with the water?) was my first encounter with this delicacy. My hearts been where the chicken and waffles are at ever since.

Finding a place that does the dish justice in Houston? On campus?

My life is made, y’all. Made.


via UH


Coreanos 

God bless fusion food. No—I really mean it. This food truck houses a delightful blend of Mexican and Korean food. Two of my favorites, might I add. Them together? I’ll admit it. I, too, was one dubious about this blend of flavors.

Consider my world changed. My life altered. Is the world still spinning? Have we fallen on the axis? WHAT IS LIFE?

I guess I should place a disclaimer: I FREAKING LOVE KIMCHI. Kimchi quesadillas. Kimchi in all the burritos. FRIES IN ALL THE BURRITOS. Kimcheese Fries. I usually get The Babe when I find myself in their always long and winding and HAS THIS LINE MOVED? line. It’s pork, fries, kimchi (ofcourse!), cheese, pico, slaw, and spicy mayo.

And it’s freaking amazing.

via Coreanos


Patty's Wagon

OKAY. YOU GOT ME. I, personally haven’t bought anything here. I’ve just stolen food (fries; shrimp) from the grasps of my friends’ platters. And I do mean platter. These folks give you so much food. When my human (Anna, I’m sure y’all remember that delightful gal) came to visit me at college a while ago, she got herself the fried shrimp basket.

Suffice to say that, while she ate the majority of the food she bought, she also shared with two very hungry; very broke college students.

(love you lady!)

via Patty's Wagon FB


SWEET


Smoosh

Okay, I want you to picture this: two soft cookies (super, super sweet cookies) of your choice, a scoop of ice cream that is absolutely perfect on a hot summer day. On top, sprinkles, peanuts, chocolate chips: the works. Pick one and live your best life.

via Yelp

The DoughCone

WELL. This one was quite the adventure of an experience. My friends and I went to this one while it had stopped in Rice Village. Long story short: we waited like an hour, got a discount and free drinks. Lucky for these people what they were serving was soooo freaking good. It’s basically what it sounds like: dough as an ice cream come- not unlike a sopapilla in all honesty.

via Yelp

SO PEOPLE. You like food. You like foodtrucks. AND. You like books!

Try out a book that's all of that and more.

Goodreads || Amazon
June 5, 2017
eARC via publisher + Netgalley

In this warmhearted and charming debut from Tif Marcelo, a food truck chef and her long lost Army love clash when they cross paths in San Francisco.

Camille Marino has got a full plate. As the sole guardian of her eighteen-year-old sister and the head chef and owner of a food truck, she’s used to life being a juggling act. With food to cook, social media accounts to manage, and a little sister to look after, she doesn’t have time for much else.

That is, until Drew Bautista walks back into her life.

Drew is Camille’s former high school crush and he returns to San Francisco to repair his relationship with his father before he ships out for deployment. By helping his father renovate his failing Filipino restaurant, he hopes to win back his respect. But when sparks fly between Drew and Camille—his father’s major competition and sworn enemy—Drew is conflicted. Should he join his father in the war against her food truck? Or surrender to the woman who’s given him a second chance at love?

QUESTION: What are some of your favorite foodtrucks where you are? Join the convo on Twitter or leave a lovely little comment below!



No comments:

Post a Comment